Sunday, November 20, 2005

Somebody asked why I have a link to the Herald on the sidebar but not the Courier:
How can you have a link to the Daily Herald but not to the Courier? The Courier IS Elgin.
The answer is that the Courier's page is so poorly designed that I don't feel comfortable directing visitors to it. My chief problem with it is that it doesn't separate local news from national/international news. If the folks at the Courier think that people are going to their website to read about Baghdad, somebody needs to deliver a case of alarm clocks to their office. I mean they need to wake up. There are a million sources of national and international news. The Courier is the last place anybody is going to go to if they want to know what's going on in the rest of the world. So in short, I can't link to the Courier because the link doesn't lead to Elgin news.

I'm not the only one who doesn't like it. Here's what another Elgin blogger has to say about the Courier's site (read the whole post):
This is also a part of a larger issue i have over the layout of the Suburban ChicagoNews website. The layout clutters four different newspapers together and each one could be worthy of its own site...
He's right.

Fact is I would love to have a link to the Courier. We all know the Herald is an Arlington Heights paper, and we all detest its expansion into the Fox Valley. But the Courier hasn't responded well to competition. I don't want to go into it at length, but I will say that my impression is that the current owners are not doing an adequate job with the paper, and I hope to see it become a local paper once again, locally-owned and locally-focused.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, the Courier site needs work. However, it is still the better local paper.

8:59 AM  
Blogger James said...

I worked for the newspapers when they were a part of Copley in the late 90s. At the time, they knew they couldn't compete on national stories, and were really trying to hone their papers into local news and events (they paid a consulting firm lots of money to come to that realization).

The website, though, other than picking up stories from the papers, was not really tied to the papers per se, i.e. the managing editors didn't pay much attention to the content. Probably still don't - they have enough going on with the paper version. It was even run by a different department that I never actually saw.

Not sure what to suggest to get your message to them (I agree it's a mess - a more local focus to the site sure couldn't hurt them). Hey, how about calling Speak Out?

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home