Thursday, October 06, 2005

Another thing I noticed when I went to the Hemmens is that after you listen to some beautiful music inside the auditorium, you come out and you hear this deafening drone from the Unilever factory. This is not even the tolerable din of a typical city, which its pulsing variety of sounds, but is a completely unnatural and constant drone. It makes Walton Island essentially unusable. I've experienced this on weekdays but I had no idea that even on a Sunday, the drone would break the quiet of downtown Elgin. This combination of serious noise pollution and negative visual impact makes the Unilever factory the single largest impediment to a downtown revival, in my opinion. In fact, the impact goes beyond the downtown and affects the image of Elgin as a whole. The Unilever factory is the leading candidate for Elgin's anti-image award.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill Baar said...

Think of it as the sound of jobs.

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home